Yup, another update on my recent adventures in food service employment.
Another graveyard crew person was hired. For those of you who read the last blog I mentioned one more person would be the answer we needed to proper breaks and more work getting done in a timely manner. She's brand new, but she's already exceeding the new guy who's been there for two weeks. Awesome. They haven't made her the official fourth person yet, as they still only schedule three people...including the manager. I'm still waiting to see if she's really the fourth...or a way to cut people's hours.
I haven't threatened my manager (since she is trying her hardest), the owner, or implied that I was going to talk to corporate. I have told her what she already knows. That a fourth person is ESSENTIAL and not getting breaks is breaking state law. She knows and said to wait a few weeks to see if the situation improves. She also says that at as long as I get my half hour break in ten minute increments all night...if we can...then no laws are being broken. Oooh...you're sneaky. Also, since our meal discounts were taken away for the half hour before and after our shift (our owner is cheap), and since we don't get our proper breaks, state law says the meal should be paid for. It's not...so I have to chow down what I can if I'm hungry and pay full price for it after my shift. Lame. I was also given a print out of my hours for the pay period, and looked at the breaks listed. My manager is showing that I take ALL of my breaks every time I work. A half an hour might not sound like a lot of money lost in a day for me, but when I work 5 days a week every week, that adds up to some extra money I could use! Keeping a log will help, but not when the managers are doing what they're doing (whether to avoid getting in trouble or not).
I know this sounds whiny, and maybe on some level it is. I AM a hard worker, and I enjoy working. REALLY! It makes me appreciate my days off more, and it's a lot easier to plan my days...since I'm working! My parents raised me with some kick ass work ethic, and even my bosses are surprised at how great of an employee I am. However, even work horses and pack mules need rests once in a while...just sayin'. I'm still on the job hunt. The restaurant is taking steps to promote me to manager, and while that would be awesome on my resume for managerial experience (especially when my degree is officially finished), I wonder if my sanity (and my body) would be able to take it...
Thanks for everyone's advice! It's all very helpful, and I'll make sure to keep you all posted. More to come soon!
Feb 6, 2008
McLabor laws: UPDATE
Posted by Auntie Dani at 9:29 AM
Labels: I do NOT want fries with that, possible better days ahead, sanity wearing thing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Post a Comment